My Wants

  • An Ultra Portable Mini PC
  • New Laptop (must be better and faster than my current one of course)
  • New Leather Shoe with Pointy Front
  • Sony Ericsson Cybershot Cellphone
  • White Converse Tote Bag

Thursday, December 15, 2005

About How I Feel Towards Nursing.

I did a last office today for one of my patient. Saw him breathed his last before my very eyes.

It was a sad feeling, not because this patient had always being under my care, but just mourning for the loss of a human life.

As a nurse, we must always understand that, all patient has the potential to die. I am no longer surprise at anything anymore. Anything can happen. It is not about being dead to your emotional when something happen. It is about having your emotion under control so that it may not affect your work when you are feeling sad or angry.

Any Tom, Dick and Harry can clean shit after a patient or write reports. Anyone can take the body temperature or blood pressure when trained. Anyone can learn good communication skills or mix around with everyone. And I mean ANYONE can be a nurse.

However, only a person who value human lives can be a good nurse. Only someone who have emotions and know how to control it can be a good nurse.

That is also the reason why I am interested in palliative care. It is one thing to be optimistic about recovering. It is another thing... to know you are dying.

What are the thoughts that go thru a person's mind when he is dying? What are the pains he is suffering? How does the quality of life differ from a AIDs patient and a cancer patient? How does palliative care differ in taking care of young patient and to older patients? It is interesting isn't it? (Maybe for me. Hahaha.)