My Wants

  • An Ultra Portable Mini PC
  • New Laptop (must be better and faster than my current one of course)
  • New Leather Shoe with Pointy Front
  • Sony Ericsson Cybershot Cellphone
  • White Converse Tote Bag

Monday, September 12, 2005

How do you know your patient is anxious?

  1. The patient keep pressing the call bell... anxiously.
  2. The patient looked real anxious.
  3. The patient keep asking the same questions, anxiously.

Obvious enough?

Let's look at a particular conversation I had with this patient who had lung effusion. (fluid and air retention in the lung cavity.) He has a chest tube inserted into the chest to suck out the fluid and air.

Patient: Nurse nurse. I think there is something wrong with my chest tube.

Me: What's wrong?

Patient: I think it is not working.

Me (make a check on the chest tube): It is working alright.

Patient: Look at the bottle attached there, there is no water inside. Isn't it suppose to be filled with water?

Me (Had a closer look at the bottle and saw "Do not add water into this bottle" printed on the bottle.): No, it is not suppose to have any water.

Patient: I think my chest tube is leaking.

Me (Thinking to myself, if the chest tube is leaking, the patient will already collaspe as air will rush into the lungs.): It is really alright. There is no leaking. I assure you.

Patient: Then why is it only so few fluid is suck out of my lungs after 1 whole day.

Me (Fact of the matter, there is more air then fluids in this patient's lung.): I think it is sucking out air more than fluid. It seems like you have more air retention.

Patient: Then how much air had being suck out?

Me (answering the question in a very logical and calm manner.): Uncle, I can't see air.

Patient and I rehearsed the same dialouge every once in a while. I told the Nursing Officer about the patient's anxiety. Don't know whether to laugh or to cry about it. Haiz...